Understanding the Carbon Water Filter
Activated carbon has become popular in the modern world. It is an essential component in a range of industries that include cosmetic, medical, and agricultural sectors. More importantly, activated carbon is crucial in water purification systems in homes, and manufacturing plants, etc.
But what makes carbon water filters get so much attention? In this article we'll explore the unique characteristics of carbon filters by answering the questions: "what are carbon filters?" and "how does a carbon filter work?"
Definition of carbon filters
A carbon filter is a solid or granular form of activated carbon that is typically used in a water filtration system. In other instances, the filters are made from charcoal, and aided with coconut shells, or wood which function as a prefilter during reverse osmosis.
The main functions of the carbon filter
The main function of a carbon filter for water system is to remove odors and other impurities from your water. Carbon filters remove dissolved organic carbon (DOC), pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, disinfectants, lead, copper, and even certain bacteria and viruses.
These devices have special properties that allow them to work effectively. A few of these features include:
- Purification to micron level using adsorption technology
- A high degree of microporosity
- Easy to install and use
- Easy to maintain
What is a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) Water Filter?
Granular activated carbon filter (GAC) is a type of filtration device that uses a combination of loose carbon granules and mineral particles to remove unwanted chemicals and impurities from the water.
A few of the common features of this type of system are:
- Chlorine removal - up to 98%
- Pesticide removal - up to 85%
- Organic compound removal
- Improves the taste and odor of water
What is a Carbon Block Filter?
This is an active carbon water filter that is made from a solid block of compressed carbon or other material like processed coconut shells.
So what does a carbon block filter do? It helps remove impurities and odors from your water. This type of system can be used in conjunction with a reverse osmosis system, or it can be used on its own.
- Wide range of applications including commercial, whole house, and POU.
- Rated for sediment removal
- Can be made from a variety of materials including coal, wood, and coconut shell.
The difference between a GAC and a carbon block filter
Although GAC and carbon blocks are both renowned for effectively removing impurities from water, they are different in their physical properties.
GAC filter is composed of ground-up activated carbon held together loosely in a cartridge. These loose granules permit more water to pass through.
Now, what is a carbon block filter?
This is simply activated carbon that is ground into a fine powder, then heated and compressed into a solid block. This system restricts the amount of water that flows through.
- GAC filtration systems are ideal for applications requiring low pressures, up to 40 psi, and higher flow rates.
- Carbon block water filters are ideal for applications at high pressures of 60 psi and above with lower flow rates.
How often should carbon filters be changed?
Apart from knowing how to use a carbon filter, it's also important to know when to change it.
A good recommendation is to replace it at least once every three to six months. However, a good rule of thumb for a carbon filter for water system is that if the water tastes strange, has a metallic taste, or has an odor, it probably needs to be changed.
The main benefits of choosing a carbon filter
There are many reasons why you should invest in this type of filtration system for your home. Here are the top benefits:
- Reduces the amount of chlorine and other contaminants in the water.
- Improves the taste and smell of your water.
- Protects against corrosion in your home's plumbing system.
- They can be used with a variety of water sources, including groundwater and well water.
- They can be used to purify both soft and hard water sources.
Whether you prefer a granular activated carbon filter or the block version, there is no doubt that a carbon filter for water system is an essential part of today’s household living.
Therefore, when you are buying, make the effort to shop from a reliable source like FILTERWAY, where you can buy products that can meet any kitchen and drinking requirement.